Tenant support - Frequently asked questions

All repairs and maintenance issues can now be reported online. Please click the orange spanner in the top right hand corner of your screen to report your issue.

At 1LET we are known for our excellent tenant support. Our office is based locally in Edinburgh allowing us to be a letting agent that really knows what is going on and to be truly dedicated in our care of not just the property, but of our tenants as well. Read below for our tenants' frequently asked questions:

Who should I contact in case of an emergency?

Gas Emergency

If you think you can smell gas please contact Transco immediately on 0800 111 999.

Other Emergencies

If you have an issue that requires immediate attention (i.e. there is water pouring in from the  roof) please contact us as soon as possible by calling our office on 0131 476 5500. Out of office hours please contact our emergency out of office number provided in your tenant welcome email and on your tenant care card.

Other maintenance and repair issues

If your query is not an emergency (i.e. there is a minor leak or something needs fixed) you can either call our office on 0131 476 5500 or use our repairs and maintenance form to report your general maintenance and repairs issue.

How do I pay the rent?

Tenants are required to pay their rent via standing order to 1LET. We will provide you with details on how you can set this up before you move in to the property. You will be required to pay your rent on the same date each month - for example if you move in on the 5th of the month your rent will be due on the 5th of each month thereafter.

Who is responsible for council tax costs?

The tenant will be responsible for payment of the council tax and water and sewerage charges, or any local tax which may replace this. The tenant will advise the local authority of the date of the commencement of the tenancy.

Who is responsible for television, cable, satellite and internet supplies?

The landlord shall not be responsible for providing a telephone, television, cable, satellite or internet signal or supply within the property and any changes to existing telephone, television, cable, satellite or internet supplies or cabling shall require consent from the landlord which shall not be unreasonably withheld.

What does ‘acting in a tenant-like manner’ mean?

This means tenants should perform smaller tasks around the house such as mending the electric light when it fuses, unblocking the sink when blocked with waste and cleaning the windows when necessary.

Who is responsible for the cost of maintenance and repairs?

The tenant will be liable for the cost of repairs where the need for them is attributable to his/her fault or negligence, that of any person residing with him/her or any guest of his/hers.Where this need for a repair is not attributable to negligence of the tenant, any person residing with him/her, or any guest of his/hers then the landlord is responsible for the cost of maintenance and repairs.

Can I make any alterations to the property?

The tenant agrees not to make any alteration to the accommodation, its fixtures or fittings, nor to carry out any internal or external decoration without the prior written consent of the landlord.

Are you a first time tenant?

There are lots of things to consider when renting a property for the first time. Here at 1LET we want to make sure the whole experienced is pain free as possible.

Read our useful guides

Or, if you have a question please contact us on 0131 476 5500

Tenant Support

Frequently asked questions - all the basics of what tenants need to know before they move in.

  • Who should I contact in an emergency?
  • How do I pay the rent?
  • Council tax?

View our FAQ for Tenants